“The report is in and the conclusion is clear: Children learn best when we treat them as whole people, with social and emotional as well as academic needs. To best prepare our young people to thrive in school and in life, we must help them develop an array of skills.”
A Nation at Hope Report issued January 2019
The Aspen Institute’s National Commission on Social, Emotional and Academic Development was charged with making recommendations for reshaping learning across America to address the whole learner. Their report is the culmination of two years of interviews with more than 200 scientists, youth and parent groups, educators, and policymakers and takes into account two decades of scientific research and a diverse set of real life experiences.
“More than two decades of research across a range of disciplines—psychology, social science, brain science—demonstrate that the social, emotional and cognitive dimensions of learning are deeply linked.”
Centner Academy Students are inSPIREd
At Centner Academy, we recognize the relationship between academic excellence with spiritual, physical, intellectual, relational and emotional well-being.
- SPIRITUAL WHOLE-BEING: Centner Academy guides your child to develop a sense of meaning and purpose in life, while being fully present in the moment.
- PHYSICAL WHOLE-BEING: Movement and nutrition help your child achieve a mind-body connection that optimizes brain function, making learning easier.
- INTELLECTUAL WHOLE-BEING: We combine experiential learning and academic theories, resulting in a curriculum that feeds curious minds and encourages investigation.
- RELATIONAL WHOLE-BEING: Centner Academy equips your child with the core relationship skills for a life of love and friendships.
- EMOTIONAL WHOLE-BEING: We nurture social-emotional intelligence in your child to empower him to identify, understand and manage his emotions.
What is Social Emotional Learning?
Social-emotional learning (SEL) teaches students to identify, express and manage their emotions and to recognize, understand and influence the emotions of others. SEL teaches students to empathize with others, to create healthy relationships, to work toward and achieve goals and to make responsible decisions while developing resilience, confidence, and well-being.
Ongoing Learning for Educators and Parents
Centner Academy recognizes many parents and traditionally trained educators have not had training themselves in Social Emotional learning; we provide in-depth training and learning opportunities for our team members — administrative and instructional, in addition to providing learning opportunities for parents and our Miami community.