Centner Academy is a progressive, independent ‘happiness’ school that combines a deep commitment to emotional intelligence, mindfulness, and happiness with a challenging curriculum including foreign language acquisition, entrepreneurial thinking, problem-solving, creativity, critical thinking and collaboration. Centner Academy’s mission is to promote:
- Happy, thriving students
- Rigorous curriculum that engages students
- Mindfulness and emotional intelligence
- Effective foreign language acquisition
- Project- and problem-based learning
- Entrepreneurial thinking
- Personalized learning journeys
- Habits to optimize neurodevelopment
Centner Academy’s curriculum philosophy was developed by a team of seasoned educators to meet the needs and expectations of globally minded families. Our intention is to shape future adults who are not only confident and poised to succeed, but who also have the character and skills needed to make the world a better, kinder, and more loving place for all.
Centner Academy is seeking a Pastry Chef to join its growing team. Must be comfortable being in person on campus with students.
Primary Objective of Position
Direct oversight of daily pastry department operation and production, quality and service protocols.
- Represents the restaurant professionally through effective communication, cooperation and relationships with the all business partners.
- Collaborates with team to create a culture and restaurant work environment based upon respect; fosters opportunities for team to learn, grow and develop their abilities.
- Collaborates to offer positive solutions to problems or issues and be a voice that is part of the decision-making team.
- Provide leadership to create a culture and work environment based upon respect; providing opportunities for staff to learn, grow and develop their abilities through training of employees and creating a positive, productive working environment. Successful demonstration of this will be evident by employee satisfaction and retention of those under your supervision.
- Perform inventory and purchasing responsibilities on a daily basis.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the Regenerate Cafe restaurant preventative maintenance programs.
- Ensure that all products are received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the Regenerate Cafe restaurant receiving policies and procedures.
- Assigns specific tasks to cooks.
- Directs cooks performing tasks
- Observes cooks in preparing, portioning and garnishing foods to ensure that correct method of cooking and garnishing and sizing of portions are as are prescribed.
- Evaluates and solves problems encountered such as substituting items on menus, reusing excess wasted and spoilage.
- Cook and carves meats, and prepares dishes, such as sauces, during rush periods and banquets and other socials functions.
- Assumes responsibility for kitchen in absence of Executives Chef.
- Be an enthusiastic, helpful and positive member of the team
- Be professional, responsible and mature in conduct and behavior
- Be understanding of, encouraging to and friendly with all co-workers
- Be self-motivated and use time wisely
- Maintain open line of communications with each department
- Communicate pertinent information
- Respond positively to new ideas
- Openly accept critical/developmental feedback
- Report to work on time,
- Be available to work a flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays
- Be available to help other departments in emergency situations
- Perform other assignments as directed by your Supervisor.
- Adhere to all work rules, procedures and policies established by the company including, but not limited to those contained in the associate handbook.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be proficient in GLUTEN FREE baking and pastry.
- Requires excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must possess excellent computational ability.
- Must possess excellent computer skills.
- Extensive knowledge of pastry menu development, cost and wage control.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
- Ability to supervise staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings and maintain communication lined between line staff and management.
- Ability to create recipes and support material, i.e., recipe cards, descriptions, and pictures, and to read and visualize.
- Extensive knowledge of the company, its services and facilities.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by company environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10 degrees F) and kitchens (+110 degrees F), possibly for one hour or more.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day when needed. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task. Must be able to work a long day on his feet.
- Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and other wise transport up to 50 lbs. to every area of the kitchen. Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various hospitality machinery to include tables, chairs, kitchen equipment and other POS and computer related equipment.
- The worker is subject to loud noise from music and machinery.
- Ability to distinguish product quality, taste, texture and presentations and observe preparation.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
- May be required to lift trays of food or food items weighing up to 30 lbs. occasionally.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. on occasion.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill occasional cleaning/inspection tasks.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Hearing, smelling, tasting and visual ability to observe and distinguish product quality and detect signs of emergency situations.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with supervisors and subordinates
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
4-year Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred. Minimum of 2 years’ experience in similar position in Full Service Restaurant and or Luxury Hotel/Resort.
Licenses or Certificates:
Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits. Certification as Food Manager. CPR certification and/or First Aid training preferred.