Centner Academy is a progressive independent ‘happiness’ school where world languages, values-based education, mindfulness, and student-centered academics infuse every interaction with joy and learning. Through a unique blend of diverse academic paradigms, the school engages students from the very beginning in an innovative environment supported by five Key Pillars: language mastery, leadership, values-based character development, mindfulness, and life skills.
Centner’s curriculum philosophy was developed by a team of seasoned educators to meet the needs and expectations of globally minded families. Our intention is to shape future adults who are not only confident and poised to succeed, but who also have the character and skills needed to make the world a better, kinder and more loving place for all.
Centner Academy is seeking energetic and a creative Music Teacher to join its growing faculty for the 2021-2022 school year. Please indicate your position(s) of interest in your cover letter. Must be comfortable being in person on campus with students. Shifts will be 8 hours daily.
- Design and teach music classes/ensembles that attract Centner Academy students into the program and offer excellent musical education within the Centner Academy academic program.
- Collaborate with colleagues on curriculum development and on enhancing instructional practices and strategies.
- Support the musical needs of the theater program, coordinating with theater teachers and student musicians.
- Design and facilitate appropriate performance opportunities for music students within the school and in the greater community, including ensemble concerts, music assemblies, and special events.
- Support student leadership to arrange volunteer experiences to play at local senior centers, hospitals, and as part of a community service event and other occasions.
- Design, offer and supervise afternoon music opportunities.
- Administer and develop Music specific assessments for the purpose of assessing student competency levels and/or developing individual learning plans.
- Arrange student musicians to play for school events including, but not limited to, admissions open houses, advancement gatherings, awards assemblies, school meetings, sit down dinners, etc.
- Assist Centner Academy students in participating in outside musical opportunities such as All-State, music camps, local orchestras, local open mics, etc.
- Engage in faculty meetings and departmental meetings to build support for the music program.
- Establish effective communications and relationships with students and parents.
- Exhibit a growth mindset about teaching practices and work toward professional goals and development.
- Help to maintain school policies, regulations, and expectations.
- Timely and professional completion of required reports and tasks.
- Be responsible at all times for the supervision of students in your care during classes and for students generally when on campus or off campus.
- Fulfill other responsibilities as assigned by the Centner administration.
Essential skills and experience:
- Bachelor of Arts in Music, Master’s degree preferred.
- At least two years of successful experience teaching Music in a K-8 setting.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Deep dedication to learning and developing as an educator.
- Collaborative work style paired with the ability to take initiative.
- Strong classroom management skills and expertise in differentiating instruction.
Nonessential skills and experience:
- Eagerness to learn new technology and systems.
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace change, growth, and learning.
- Experience working closely with diverse families.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume. Please also provide professional references (name and full contact information) with application. Compensation is competitive and based on experience. This is a year-round position. Staff training often occurs in summer months.
Centner Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to welcoming and celebrating a diverse student and faculty population. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the school that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability, or other characteristics protected under local, state or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy. We seek each employee’s contribution and assistance in helping us maintain equal employment opportunity. Centner Academy does not mandate the Covid-19 vaccine.