Centner Academy is a progressive independent ‘happiness’ school where world languages, values-based education, mindfulness, and student-centered academics infuse every interaction with joy and learning. Through a unique blend of diverse academic paradigms, the school engages students from the very beginning in an innovative environment supported by five Key Pillars: language mastery, leadership, values-based character development, mindfulness, and life skills.
Centner’s curriculum philosophy was developed by a team of seasoned educators to meet the needs and expectations of globally minded families. Our intention is to shape future adults who are not only confident and poised to succeed, but who also have the character and skills needed to make the world a better, kinder and more loving place for all.
Centner Academy is looking for an exceptional Director of Teaching and Learning/Curriculum to join our robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2021-22 school year. Must be comfortable being in person on campus with students. Shifts will be 8 hours daily.
Position summary: The Director of Teaching and Learning/Curriculum, along with Subject Coordinators and the Preschool, Elementary and Middle High Schools’ Directors will be the primary drivers of a new educational model aimed to improve teacher practice and increase student achievement. This team of collaborators will draw on learning concepts from several leading paradigms, including inquiry-based learning, project-based learning, self-directed learning and highly personalized instruction. At its core, the Curriculum Director is responsible for coordinating the scope and sequence of the curriculum offerings, the selection of instructional materials, textbooks, and supplementary materials, content knowledge development, the quality of instruction, and the determination of the assessments to be used in measuring student academic progress.
General purpose: There are three areas of supervision that the position normally encompasses: these are curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Leads teacher teams in curriculum development ensuring vertical and horizontal articulation.
- Leads content specific, school-based learning teams that engage in a weekly cycle of unit and lesson planning, content knowledge development, classroom observations, and student work analysis.
- Supports teachers’ achievement of goals, as needed, by effectively employing coaching strategies that gradually release responsibility for implementing instructional practices to the teacher (for example, observing, co-planning, modeling, co-teaching, and observing).
- Analyzes teacher practice through ongoing classroom observations, data analysis, and examination of student work.
- Coordinates multiple assessment programs (e.g. MAP, in-house, etc.).
- Provides clear and direct feedback to teachers based on analysis of practice and tracks student and teacher progress to assess the effectiveness of coaching.
- Develops teachers’ capacity to collect and analyze multiple sources of data to improve student learning.
- Articulates a clear instructional vision alongside the Principals with a school-wide focus on teaching and learning that is research-based, data-driven, standards-aligned and rooted in the belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
- Embraces Mandarin, Spanish, French, Italian, German and Russian cultures by leading and participating in cultural activities for faculty and students.
- Keeps current on best practices and evidence-based interventions in immersion, dual language and/or EL sheltered instruction, special education, technology, and literacy instruction.
- Ensures access and achievement for our learners with exceptional learning needs.
- Contribute in the selection and implementation of technology and/or technological advancements to be implemented in the teaching process so that students become proficient using cutting edge technologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (minimum). Master’s Degree in Curriculum, Instruction or similar field from an accredited institution preferred.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience, preferably in immersion or dual language schools.
- Ability to meet Highly Qualified Teachers (HQT) requirements under No Child Left Behind (NCLB).
- Excellent verbal, written and digital communication skills in English.
- The ability to facilitate teacher teams and collaborate with diverse teams of educators.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize correctly under pressure.
Nonessential skills and experience:
- Knowledge about immersion education practices and regulations, particularly those pertaining to FL schools.
- AMI or AMS Montessori certification is a plus.
- Experience working closely with diverse families.
- Preferably bilingual in English and one of the target languages taught at Centner Academy: Mandarin, Spanish, French, Italian, German and/or Russian.
To apply, please submit a copy of your cover letter, resume, sample lesson plan, and sample assessment. Compensation is competitive and based on experience. This is a year-round position. The summer months are often spent researching new programs and developing plans to improve educational programs for the coming school year. Staff training often occurs in summer months.
Centner Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to welcoming and celebrating a diverse student and faculty population. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is the policy of the school that employment decisions for all applicants and employees will be made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, disability or other characteristics protected under local, state or federal law. No employee will be retaliated against for raising concerns under this policy. We seek each employee’s contribution and assistance in helping us maintain equal employment opportunity. Centner Academy does not mandate the Covid-19 vaccine.